COMPANY: Radical Entertainment
POSITION: Lead Environment Artist
TECHNOLOGY: PS3 / XBOX 360/ PC
Prototype was an action-adventure open world video game set in New York City. Parallel to the game’s storyline is the ability to play in a sandbox-style video game giving the player freedom to roam Manhattan.
• Set up benchmarks of world geo for the rest of the world building team to follow after experimenting in our vertical slice demo of 12 city blocks of Times Square
• Created a list of global and local environment texture sets. Maintained and balanced their continually changing memory pools throughout the project.
• Had a key role in designing the layout of the Prototype Manhattan map
• Conceptualized a system for laying out city blocks of varied generic buildings which made up majority of Manhattan and set up the basic rules of the Generic Building Tool’s functionality which allowed us to create 1000’s of unique N.Y. styled buildings.
• Selected reference for generic N.Y. buildings that were created using this tool.
• Worked with Legal Department to change aspects of the Landmark buildings to satisfy their concerns with copyright issue.
• Trained 30+ people to work with our tool set and deliver art in game throughout the almost 4 year development cycle of this project.
• Influenced every vertex and pixel in the game environment in one way or another.
• Organized a six day research trip to Manhattan which included acquiring and managing all camera equipment for five photographers and creating a shooting schedule of various locations around the city which resulted in over 20,000 reference photos